Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Come - Fly with me...

WOW. I am in awe! This picture shows a Cartwheel Galaxy. (Picture Credit: NASA, Hubble Space Telescope). What we see here is 500 million light years away... a lenticular galaxy in the constellation Sculptor (Wikipedia).

Well - this is a number I cannot even imagine in my mind! I have no reference point in my brain to understand or visualize this outer space activity. All I can do is be in awe, connect with Spirit, Universal Intelligence, with my Self, with this planet we live on and simply learn to understand to let go of Ego needs, though be connected collectively in order to support a healthy existence of this magnificent creation out there and inside me.

"As technology expands our universe into infinity, it becomes clear that it takes more than a bang to create the innumerable distant galaxies that dwarf our own existence! "(Robert Kirshner, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)

Explanation: "The Cartwheel Galaxy shows a ring that is the result of a collision between a small and a large galaxy. After a small galaxy has moved through a big galaxy - in this case one that probably resembled our own Milky Way - a star formation wave moves out from the impact point like ripples across the surface of a pond. When galaxies collide it is rare that any two stars actually collide. Gravity, however, causes density waves to move out through the galaxy which in turn triggers the formation of hot, bright young stars, producing the ring that we see in this picture." (NASA)

No comments:

Post a Comment